Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the timings for visiting the Jain Sthanak for Puja & Darshan?
Devotees are encouraged to bring their own prayer items when coming to the Sthanak as per advisory from the authorities. Please click here for latest announcements.
SJRS general visiting timings for Puja and Darshan are stated below. Do note that the general visiting timings may be affected due to special circumstances or special events in which case you will not have access to the prayer hall. SJRS will inform members by whatsapp broadcast for any announcements that could affect the general visitings hours.
Mornings – Puja & Darshan
8.00am to 11.00am Mon to Fri
8.00am to 12.30pm Sat, Sun & Public Holidays
Evenings – Darshan Only (No Puja)
6.00pm to 8.00pm Mon to Sat
(Closed on Sunday & Public Holidays)
Please visit sufficiently early before closing time stated above as we need to ensure security and timely closing of the Sthanak. Last entry will be 15 mins before closing time and all devotees have to vacate the premises by closing time.
Any Daily Puja of the Bhagwan Mahavir Swami Murti (51”), will be guided by the following :-
- Puja clothes must be worn when doing puja or touching the Murti.
- Kesar, Milk, Perfume, Silver Foil, or Gold Foil are not allowed to be applied to the Murti at any time. Only Sandalwood paste or powder (chandan) can be used.
- Puja must only be done on the 9 limbs of the Idol (Nav Angi).
- Rice grains must not be sprinkled at the idol.
- If a Diva or Agarbathi has already been lighted, a second one should not be lighted.
- Any items taken for use in Puja or Prayers must be cleaned and returned to the proper place after the puja. All other offerings must be cleared after the puja by the devotee himself/herself. Do not expect the caretaker to clear these items on your behalf. Any items left behind will be removed.
Please observe the Darshan/Puja rules strictly as advised above and as displayed at the Sthanak as well.
2. What is the address & telephone number at the Jain Sthanak & How can we get there ?
The Singapore Jain Religious Sthanak premises are located at
18 Jalan Yasin (Eunos Area),
Tel no: (65) 67427829.
The Postal Address is: Katong P. O. Box 106, Singapore 914304
The nearest MRT station is Eunos. You may also take bus services 2, 24, 51, 55, 67.
You can find our location on the map here.
3. How do I keep in touch with society events and activities?
- Become a member and ensure your membership is active. Refer to links and forms page to apply for new membership or renewal.
- Details of the regular ongoing activities are available on this website, please take some time to make yourself familiar with it.
- For all members, ensure you have provided your (and your family’s) email addresses to us. That will be added to the regular society broadcast group so that you all will receive notifications of regular events.
- For all members, please keep us updated with your (and your family’s) up-to-date mobile number. You could keep us informed by sending an email to sjrs @ sjrs.org.sg
- For all members, you and your family members can also receive WhatsApp broadcast announcement messages by adding SJRS WhatsApp number +65 97933464 in your phone contact list (you may click here to save our contact on your mobile phone). Please ensure you and all of your family members have saved SJRS WhatsApp number on your respective mobile in order to receive WhatsApp broadcast messages sent by the society.
- Important points to note:
- We make use of WhatsApp message broadcast to reach all members, you will not receive messages from us until you save SJRS WhatsApp contact on your phone.
- WhatsApp number is for one way communication only. Do not reply via WhatsApp OR send any messages on that number. For any queries, email email@example.com
4. Are there accommodation rooms and/or Jain food services available at the Jain Sthanak ?
We regret to advise that we do not have any accommodation facilities or Jain food services at the Singapore Jain Religious Sthanak premises.
5. We would like to stay / live in proximity of the Jain Sthanak. Please advise areas/locations in Singapore which would be suitable for such purpose.
As for living near the Jain Sthanak, it is best to choose a location for home near the East e.g. Bedok, Eunos, Marine Parade (generally known as Katong or East Coast area) etc.
Rental and living costs in Singapore are high in the East so you should budget carefully before considering where to reside (especially if you are with your family).
For long stays of 6 months and above, you can also consider renting a flat. You can contact the following for more info and help:
- Swatiben Shah Tel: +65 9630 5125
- Nehal Mehta Tel: +65 9002 0841
- Pragna Kamdar Tel: +65 91054397
The above are just a few suggestions, not in order of merit, and we do not specially endorse anyone of them.
6. Where can we get Jain Food in Singapore?
Jain food in Singapore is offered at some restaurants. Some may be willing to provide tiffin service as well.
Some Indian vegetarian restaurants in Singapore which serve Jain food:
- Mumbai Magic – Shivam Restaurant, 87, Syed Alwi Road, Singapore 207666 Tel:+65 6908 2966
- Kailash Parbat – 3 Belilios Road #01-03 Hilton Garden Inn, Singapore 219924 Tel: +65 6836 5545
- Raj Restaurant – 172 Race Course Road, #01-01/05 Soho @ Farrer, 218605 Tel: +65 6297 1716
- Café Salivation – 176 Race Course Road, Little India , Singapore 218607 Tel: +65 6298 1412
- Balaji Bhawan – 103 Syed Alwi Road, (opp Mustafa Center), Singapore 207679 Tel: +65 6341 7797
- Swaad – 70 Desker Road, Little India, Singapore 209593 Tel: +65 9890 0061
- Ananda Bhavan – 10 Buffalo Road, BLK 663, Little India , Singapore 21978 Tel: +65 62911943
- Nalan Restaurant – 13 Stamford Road, #B2-54 Capitol Piazza, Singapore 178905 Tel: +65 6336 6404
- Komala Vilas– 76 Serangoon Road, Singapore 217981 Tel: +65 6293 6980
- Gokul – 19 Upper Dickson Road , Singapore 207478 Tel: +65 6396 7769
- Murugan Idli Shop – 76 Syed Alwi Road (opp Mustaffa Center) , Singapore 207655 Tel: +65 6298 0858
- Bombay Café – 308 Tanjong Katong Road, Singapore 207658 Tel: +65 6345 0070
- Udipi Ganesh Vilas – 10 Ceylon Road, Singapore 429606 Tel: +65 6348 7708
You may also want to try contacting the following for tiffin service (note minimum order / self collection may apply):
- www.vegtiffin.com Tel: +65 87666546
- Tiffin Service by Amiben Tel: +65 8161 4797
- Tiffin Service by Niluben Tel: +65 9459 2653
These above are just a few suggestions, not in order of merit, and we do not specially endorse any restaurant or service provider. There are many more restaurants all over Singapore serving Indian food or otherwise that are familiar with jain or vegan cuisine – just enquire with them or visit their websites before making your way there.
7. We are Jains from overseas and planning to visit Singapore. Please advise us briefly on the Jain community & Society in Singapore.
The Jains in Singapore come under the banner of the Singapore Jain Religious Society (SJRS). We are a small Jain community of about 450 families, living harmoniously with one another. Our Jain Sthanak is at 18 Jalan Yasin (in the Eunos area). There is a beautiful Murti of Bhagwan Mahavir(Darshani) consecrated at the Sthanak and can be visited for Darshan and Puja, as per timings advised above.
The Jain Society in Singapore welcomes all Jains whether Sthanakvasi, Deravasi, Terapanthi, Digambar, Oswal or Porwad – speaking any language and regardless of creed, and can become a member and carry out Jain religious activities, keeping to the fundamental principles of Jainism. The Society maintains its prime objective of preserving Jain unity in Singapore. Even the Agams advise that religious activities could be changed according to time, place or sentiments; and the Jain Society in Singapore keeps this progressive attitude in fulfilling such needs but maintains fundamental Jain principles.
8. We are a group of Jains or a Jain Tour Group and would like to include a visit to the Jain Sthanak in our itinerary when in Singapore. Please advise how we can organise the same.
We apologise that we do not cater to tour groups or groups of tourists as we do not have the facilities to do so.
9. I have young children who will move with my family to Singapore. Please advise on the education system in Singapore.
The education system in Singapore is mostly public schools that are considered the best in the world. Our system is based on Cambridge, having O Levels & A Levels (similar to Indian SSC & HSC).
There are also some schools offering IB programs. However, your children will be considered as foreigners (with higher fees) till the time you get your Permanent Residency (should you choose to).
There are also many options to enrol them in private schools (from India, Australia, USA, etc). These are the much more expensive options and you can search the net for some of these. The few Indian Schools are Global Indian (formerly Delhi Public School) and Singapore International School. See this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_schools_in_Singapore.
10. I have young children who would like to attend Jain Shala, how do I go about enrolling them?
Please refer to the following page for the Singapore Jain Shala guidelines.
If your child qualifies to attend Jain Shala, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest. Please provide the full name of your child, date of birth, full name of parents with their email and mobile numbers.
11. What are the ongoing Covid-19 Safe Management Measures at the Sthanak that must be complied for any activities being planned at the Sthanak?
Please refer to the following page for ongoing measures that Ministry of Culture, Community and Youth (MCCY) requires all Places of Worship to comply https://www.cpro.gov.sg/resources/advisories/
DO NOT VISIT THE SJRS STHANAK IF YOU ARE UNWELL!
The following guidelines apply for any activities being planned at the SJRS Sthanak:
- Entry Only for Fully Vaccinated – All visitors above the age of 12 may be required to show their vaccination status using their TraceTogether App.
- Mask On at All Times – All visitors must ensure that their mask is worn at all times while at the Sthanak.
- Use Sanitisers – Use sanitisers before entering the Sthanak, before doing Puja and after doing Puja and after leaving the Sthanak.
12. What is Jainism, how can I learn more about it?
Please refer to the concise booklet that provides information about Jainism.
This FAQ will be updated from time to time with more answers to regular queries.
Last updated: 7th May, 2022